Gujju Flavor @ Swati Snacks

248, Karai Estate, Opposite Bhatia Hospital, Tardeo Road, Mumbai
Featured in Pocket Friendly Collection
A meal for two costs Rs. 500/- approximately.










40 years ago, a little restaurant started in Bombay. Food was cooked at home and served at the restaurant. Over the years, it has grown in size and reputation. Today it has become an institution with Additions to the Menu (so I've heard from people who have been going from the time it started), Hygiene, Quality, Delicacies, Service and Mouth- watering Gujju food (a cuisine which the Gujarati's eat at home).

The restaurant has become so popular and is frequently visited by Celebs. There is always a huge crowd waiting to get inside. They also provide catering services for weddings, etc. 

I happened to be in Bombay (Mumbai) to explore good places to eat and after a tough day, my relatives recommended we dine at "Swati Snacks" for dinner. We reached the venue at 8:30 pm on a Sunday. Like I said, huge crowd is always waiting to get inside. Seeing the crowd was a big turnoff for me and made me wonder what made these people wait so long to get inside a restaurant which serves the same cuisine which they eat at home. I mean what was the big deal ?!? And I found my answer...

Parking was not a problem as they have Valet Service to take care of the needful. 

The service is good and the staff smiles. Since I had heard so much about "Swati Snacks" already, I did not care to look at the snacks section of the menu (which contained South Indian dishes and Chaat) but my relatives ordered Gol Gappa also known as Puchhka / Pani Puri to which the first thought that came to my mind was that there are other better places in Mumbai to have it, until the plates were served!

Gol Gappa ( Puchhka / Pani Puri)

Crispy Puri is made from Semolina (Suji) or Wheat (Atta). Served with chilled mint flavored water. With Mint I could taste a lot of Coriander too (Dhaniya). The plate also contains Hot Ragda (it compliments the chilled mint water), Sprouts, Boiled Chickpeas (Kabuli Channa), small pieces of Potatoes mixed in very little chilly powder and Tamarind (Imli) Chutney (sauce). When my favorite "Panipuri wallah" is serving me these delightful little puri's one after the other, I go on eating till I get no more. This too was fairly Good! 

We then ordered the Panki Chatni. Its a corn pancake which is steamed between Banana leaves. Frankly, I have never had this before but now I understand why people love this traditional dish so much. Served with Green Chilly and Coriander Chutney. The uniqueness lies in its Flavor. Plus with the caliber with which it is spread on the Banana leaves so that when you remove the Panki from the leaves to eat, it comes out so smoothly that it melts in your mouth. It is so different that its certainly capitalizing on their secret Panki recipe. 

Panki Chatni
Panki from the Inside

After this, we ordered the Satpadi Roti - Gatta nu Shak, one of their most popular dish. Gatta being made of Besan (Gram Flour) Rolls in Curd Gravy. Satpadi Roti is made of Plain flour, coriander leaves and cooked with a lot of Ghee. Though I did not enjoy much of the Roti but I enjoyed the Gatta ki sabzi. Its spicy and gives a whole new taste. Takes time to make this Saag, as I recall my mother informing me about the procedure to cook this dish, back home. 

Satpadi Roti - Gatta nu shak

Ice Cream - The Ice creams at Swati are all freshly Hand - made and they do not pack for take - away. And believe me when I say that the staff is polite enough to tell that the ice - cream will start melting in less than 10 minutes and it is not a good idea.
We had the Seetafal Ice Cream, also known as sweet apple / custard apple, which again is very famous here and an excellent source of Vitamin A, C and Calcium :P
Simply WOW!!

Seetafal Ice Cream

I enjoyed every bit of the meal here. Since these were dishes one cannot find at regular joints. The ambiance is pleasant, cleanliness is evident and service is decent. I would really like to go again and so should you.

"Go again if you already have, go once if you have not already"